Sunday, May 11, 2008

97% Local Bread

I'm not sure I could have made this bread in my old bread machine, but my new one (Zojirushi's Home Bakery Supreme Breadmaker) handles an all whole wheat bread just fine (although, it doesn't always make a perfectly formed dome). Since there's no local source of white bread flour that I know of, the ability to make whole wheat bread increases the percentage by volume of local ingredients in my bread.

I've yet to find a local source for butter but I'm happy with the Organic Valley Pastured Butter from Wisconsin that I bought at Whole Foods.



97% Local Bread
1 3/4 c skim milk (Oberweis)
4 c whole wheat flour (Kimker Hill Farm)
1 c Denise's 10 grain flour (Kimker Hill Farm)
2 Tbl butter
3 Tbl sorghum (Sandhill Farm)
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp active dry yeast
Warm the milk in the microwave to about room temperature or a little warmer. Meanwhile, stir the flours and butter (cut into pieces) in a medium bowl. Stir the sorghum and salt into the milk and pour the liquid ingredients in the bread pan. Dump the dry ingredients on top of the liquid ingredients. Make a shallow well in the center of the dry ingredients and spoon in the dry yeast. Set the bread machine on whole wheat. Check the bread after it's been kneading for 5 to 10 minutes to see if it needs more flour (add by tablespoons) or more water (add by teaspoons or less).

1 comment:

KBO said...

Local Harvest has locally made butter. It's really good.