Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Chautauqua -- a summer cultural event

When I went to the Pike County Chautauqua in the summer of 2005, I wrote (in my Chautauqua Diary) these definitions of Chautauqua:

  • a resort town in upstate New York
  • a circuit of tent shows at the turn of the twentieth century, kind of a revival for the mind
  • a present-day cultural and educational institution in Chautauqua, New York (like summer camp for adults)
  • a modern phenomena of cultural and educational programming for summer entertainment, featuring scholar-actors portraying historical characters

I will again be attending a Chautauqua of the last variety this week. But, I won't be writing a diary -- I will be too busy as the stage director for the performances.

If you live in the St. Louis area, please consider attending. We will have Walt Disney, Thomas Edison, Margaret Mitchell, and P.T. Barnum. If the weather is clear, and tomorrow is looking good, the show will go on at the Lions' Amphitheater in Kirkwood Park. The rain location is the theater at Meramec Community College, which is also a lovely venue. The full schedule is linked from the Kirkwood Public Library's website.

No comments: