Saturday, August 16, 2008

OLS Week 11: New Sides


We eat a lot of grilled chicken in the summer. What's different this summer is the astounding of variety of side dishes we're getting from our CSA box.




Accompaning our local chicken (Farrar Out Farm, Kirkwood Farmers Market) tonight were two new vegetables to us, both from our CSA, delicata squash and edamame. I marinated the squash in soy sauce, maple syrup, and sesame oil before handing it over to R to grill with the chicken. Taking the advice of our farmer, I cooked the edamame pods in water on the stove -- setting the timer for five minutes at the moment the water started to boil. After they cooled, I popped the beans from the pods then tossed them in a dressing made with soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds I toasted in a dry skillet.



It was all delicious!

1 comment:

Lori said...

That looks like a great meal! We received a good portion of edamame in our Fair Shares bags last night - I think I'll try your method of cooking them when I get home tonight...