Sunday, June 1, 2008

Strawberry season starts

Farmers Market logo courtesy of A Veggie Venture.
Strawberries are one of the poster children of eating locally and seasonally. In case you've never had a local in-season strawberry, learn this: strawberries are red and tender all the way through. They don't have a crunchy, flavorless, white core.



As I wrote mid-week, I found my first strawberries of the season at the Maplewood Farmers Market. I was correct that the Our Garden booth had them again at the Tower Grove Market on Saturday. I saw them and a long line so I did my other shopping first. By the time I got around to Our Garden again, both the line and the strawberries were gone.

I thought I had lost my chance at more strawberries, but when I swung by the Kirkwood Farmers Market for my chicken and eggs from Farrar Out Farm, I found that two vendors were selling strawberries by the quart. They weren't nearly as pretty as the ones from Our Garden, but the price was more attractive -- 2 quarts for $9 compared to 1 pint for $3.

Two quarts is enough to experiment with. I'm trying to decide if I want to freeze berry puree to eat later in the year. If I do that, it will be with berries that I pick myself at a very low price. The first experiment is strawberry sorbet, following the recipe that came with the ice cream machine I got for my birthday. Definitely a success.

Post submitted to the Farmers Market Fare carnival at
Eat. Drink. Better.

3 comments:

Bobbi Newman said...

Farmer's Markets are one of my favorite things! I hope they have strawberries at mine this Saturday!

Nupur said...

It was such a delight to meet you and taste your strawberry butter last night, Joy!

Amy said...

Just curious which ice cream maker you got for your birthday, and do you like it? I'm thinking about asking for one for my birthday and am starting to do some research. Your strawberry sorbet looks delectable!